Welcome to What Fir! Tree Farm. We're excited about seeing our ‘old' and ‘new' friends this year. Our farm produces some of the most beautiful and healthy 4 - 14ft Fraser Fir Christmas Trees in the region. How healthy? Well, we haven't sprayed any pesticides or herbicides here for almost 5 years! Our goal is to make your holiday season joyful and bountiful while keeping our environment whole. For more info about trees, including care instructions, click here.
If you've been here before you'll see many familiar faces this year - most of our staff has been working with us for since we opened. Yes, Bobby, Thomas, and Nathanial will be up in the tree lot. And Phyllis, Judith, Maxine, and the 2 Nancys will help you in the gift shop and with the wreaths and garland. We're all happy to help you in any way. And of course we'll take a family picture for you and give you a cup of hot apple cider.
What's new in 2014? REVISED! Please read.
- Our prices haven’t changed in the last 5 years!
- We’ll have 3 fields open! 2 new fields on top will be open this year, with trees from 6 – 14’
- The field behind the gift ship still has large trees which we can cut to size, and any trees from this one lot are 20% off.
- We also have an additional field of ‘natural’ trees – never been pruned – which are also between 7-14 ft.
- The Hayride this year will be to take you up to the fields on top as there is no suitable parking up there. After you your tree is cut you will take the Hayride back to the baler area. Your tree with your initials on the butt will be brought down, baled, and tied onto your vehicle. Parking will be the same as before.
- We've found a great source for white pine and fraser fir garland, and should have a good supply this year. We’re also adding live ornaments made from succulents, plus we will have last year’s favorite, dried okra Santa Claus!
- Santa will be here for the weekend before Thanksgiving, Thanksgiving weekend, and the weekend after,
- Be sure to check out our bow tree in the back room – that’s where you’ll find that Jolly Ole Elf.
Located on top of Cove Creek Ridge in Boone, NC, What Fir! is within a 2 hour drive from: Blowing Rock, The Triad (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point), Charlotte, and Asheville in NC: The Tri-Cities in TN; and Abingdon and Marion, VA. Please go to our Directions page for information on how to find us. Please note – most GPS systems will not work in the mountains. Follow our written directions to find What Fir.
Our wreaths are locally produced, many right in the back room, and range in size for 4" (for candles) to 4'! Get a plain fraser fir wreath or a mixed one with boxwood and pine added. All of our wreaths, swags, and other greenery are decorated by our talented staff. Step into the back room and watch our watch them do their magic. Don't forget to check out our Bow Tree and pick a special one for your decorations. Please call ahead for custom, large quantities or special sizes of wreaths. Large sizes or quantities can take from several minutes to several hours to put together.
Be sure to 'like' us on Facebook (What Fir Tree Farm) for up to date weather info and more about what's happening.
Please remember to dress warmly when you visit. What Fir's elevation is at 4000 ft above sea level (downtown Boone is at 3300'). It's often sunny and 45 degrees in Boone, and snowing and 30 degrees on top of the mountain at What Fir. To check local weather please go to Ray's Weather Center and click on the Rich Mountain page.
We are all looking forward to seeing old friends and making new ones.
What Fir! Tree Farm
330 Wolf Ridge Trail, Boone, NC 28607
(Map Quest, Google & your GPS may not be accurate. Use our written directions instead.)
Office: 828-297-4646 | 828-406-9186